• Oversee departmental goals, budgets and objectives, in line with the organization’s and the department’s mission and vision.
• Working with the Management Committee, develop annual and three to five-year operational plans for the department.
• Ensure the necessary Departmental staffing to fulfill these operational planning benchmarks
• Lead the development, communication, implementation and evaluation of policies, processes and procedures for departmental operations, services and programs.
• Lead the development and implementation of new programs, services, initiatives and projects in line with community needs and departmental goals particularly as related to the operations of the Cree local Forestry Joint Working Groups.
• Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems to monitor the operations of the department.
• Review performance data that includes financial and activity reports, to monitor and measure departmental productivity, goal achievement, and overall effectiveness.
• Participate in the various committees or Boards (e.g., Cree-Quebec Forestry Board) related to the implementation of the Department’s mandate.
• Participate in the negotiation of agreements with the Federal and/or Quebec governments relevant to his/her area of responsibility. Follow up and monitor the implementation of all agreements signed.
Interaction/ Communication Responsibilities
• Promote positive relations and concerted action with all external actors/partners, e.g., Cree communities, federal, provincial and municipal governments, other Cree entities, etc.
• Collaborate with other Cree Departments and entities (e.g., CTA, Industry and Commerce Department, Environment and Remedial Works Department) to assist in the fulfillment of cross agency goals and mandates.
• Lead the preparation and maintenance of reports necessary to carry out the functions of the department.
• Prepare quarterly and annual reports regarding status and progress of department services, programs, projects and initiatives to track goal accomplishment, as well as budget spending.
• Oversee preparation and approve reports to funding authorities. Ensure timeline of reporting obligations are met.
• Oversee preparation and approve reports for the Annual General Assembly and the Cree Nation Government Annual report on the activities of the department.
• Manage the budget for the Department. Participate in the annual budget process and conduct follow-up internally and with the Finance Department.
• Seek additional funding/budget to implement programs related to the Department and monitor accurate use of these funds.
• Establish a Departmental reporting structure to ensure team managers and/ or supervisors are meeting their objectives and benchmarks within the annual work plan.
• Directly supervise and lead direct reports and ensure effective supervision of others within the team.
• Assist direct reports with the development of objectives and ensure that performance is aligned with team and individual objectives.
• Identify training needs and support training to ensure that the staff are equipped to meet Departmental objectives.
• Conduct periodic performance evaluations for direct reports and assist managers and/or supervisors with performance evaluations.
• Promote on-going, effective and open communication with employees. Keep staff members informed of decisions that impact them and/or their department.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in area(s) of responsibility.
• Perform other duties as required.
The Cree Nation Government may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned requirements if a suitable candidate who is a JBNQA beneficiary accepts to follow a training plan determined by the Cree Nation Government as a condition of employment.